Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Budget Discipline

This is a tough topic for me as I like the occasional splurge or spontaneous purchase but as we are buying a house I need to be very disciplined in what I purchase. I think this is the only week I have stayed on budget for groceries as I have finally found a tip that works for me! I want to share it with you. This is a very simple, non complicated thing to do and that is what I like.
So first off, when making your shopping list and meal planning take a look at your pantry. Try and use what you have first and plan meals around that.
Then make your list and look for coupons (I just look at ones I get in the paper and see if I can combine it with ingredients I already have as I plan meals) I am not into the extreme couponing so this works for me.
Now this is where I usually mess up and I have figured out how to stay on track. I would go to the store and normally get everything I need plus some and get to the register and ooooops I am over budget. Well no more! I have discovered this neat little invention called a calculator! It is right on my phone and as I walk through and pull my items I add it into the calculator and it lets me know how I am on budget and if I need to scrap an item or two. By the time I get to the register there are no surprises  This worked so well for me that last week I actually came in $4 under budget!!! (YAY Me) I know there are more tips and ideas out there for a healthy budget so do some research, this is what I found works best for me.
So give it a try if you have struggled like I did and don't want to do anything complicated. Take that calculator and stay on budget!! Make your hubby proud, I know I did. :)

2 comments: